Outstanding Technology Award Announcement
2014-2015 WAGS/UMI INNOVATION IN TECHNOLOGY AWARD
The Western Association of Graduate Schools (WAGS) and University Microfilms International (UMI) are pleased to announce the 2014-2015 WAGS/UMI Innovation in Technology award. This $1,500 award may be given either to a master’s thesis or to a doctoral dissertation and is intended to recognize the innovative application of technology to scholarship. Each member institution may submit one nomination for this award.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTSThis award may be given either to a master’s thesis or to a doctoral dissertation for the development of an innovative technology and its utilization for the creative solution of a major problem. Each submission requires a written nomination by the Dean of the Graduate School (College) or equivalent office. The internal institutional selection processes are the responsibility of the endorsing official.
GUIDELINES FOR THE 2014-2015 WAGS/UMI INNOVATION IN TECHNOLOGY AWARD
1.A nominee must have earned the master’s or doctoral degree within the period of July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014. Nomination materials should be assembled in the following order and submitted electronically as one PDF file:
- The written nomination letter from the Graduate Dean cited in the Eligibility Requirements above. The letter should describe the process that was used to select the thesis or dissertation for nomination.
- A summary prepared by the student (100-1500 words) describing the research and how it demonstrates innovative or creative use of technology in the conduct of scholarship. This summary should be directed to a general academic audience of non-specialists.
- Letters from the major professor and one additional faculty member. The letters should include information regarding the significance of the technological innovations in the work for the discipline, and for the student’s department and institution.
- A copy of the student nominees’ curriculum vitae or resume.
2. All nomination materials must be submitted electronically in a single PDF file titled: LastNameofRecipient_AbbreviatedNameofInstitution_WAGSTechAward_2014-15 by September 3, 2014, and mailed to: Linda La Grange
3. Initial screening will be based upon
- scholarly significance of the use of technology, and
- overall quality.
The technological contribution to the degree program and/or the institution may also be a consideration. Finalists will be asked to provide three complete copies of the thesis or dissertation.
4. The 2014-2015 award consists of a certificate of award, $1,500 to the recipient, and travel expenses for the student and student’s adviser to receive the award at the annual meeting of the Association.